DIY Red Velvet Cake Costume

I know I had you at Red Velvet, amiright?
  
I have always had a huge proclivity for dessert foods and candies. For my birthday, I decided to make a GIANT red velvet cake that resembled like a piñata. I came across Studio DIY and was in disbelief that someone could be so talented! Kelly's birthday cake looked absolutely adorable with all the sprinkles scattered around. I wanted to try something different and make a red velvet cake because those scrumptious sweets are too die for! Her link for the DIY Birthday costume is: http://www.studiodiy.com/2013/10/07/diy-birthday-cake-costume/ .

I went to Joann's to get my materials but couldn't find any cardboard, so I bought two 20" x 30" x 3/16" white foam board and one poster.  Instead of using crepe paper, I went over to Dollar Tree and got tissue paper which worked perfectly fine. Crepe paper is a semi-see through paper that is slightly more durable than tissue paper but not as strong as regular paper. I bought the 40 sheet Gift tissue paper at Dollar Tree for a $1 and used leftover red tissue paper from Christmas. The headband was composed of two foam paper (yellow and orange). Just cut your desire shape and hot glue it on top of a headband. *NOTE* When gluing this onto your headband, make sure the shape that you cut out isn't straight on the bottom. Cut a downward U so the foam paper fits perfectly onto the headband.

First, I hot glued the ends of the two foam boards together creating an acute angle. Then I glued the poster to the two other ends of the board for the sliced look. Now that I have my model to work with... I fringed 18 white and 15 red tissue paper and glued it onto the foam board working from the bottom up alternating with the white. (Start with Red from bottom and end with white on top)  I covered the poster with 12 fringed white tissue paper on the back so it looked like the cake was covered with frosting..YUM.
*NOTE* A Red Velvet Cake with no cream cheese frosting is a crime!!!
*OPTIONAL* You can staple straps onto the cake so you don't have to hold it all the time.

                              






Comments

Popular Posts